|Welcome to Govt. College of Teacher Education
Government College of Teacher Education, Thiruvananthapuram has a
remarkable history starting from the early years of 20th Century. This Mother
Teacher Education Institution in Kerala, the second in the field of Teacher
Education in Madras Province, next to Training College at Saidapet, was
established in 1895 as a Normal School on the implementation of the
recommendations of Hunter Commission Report of 1882 for improving the quality
of education through improving Teacher Effectiveness.
The Normal School was elevated to the status of a Training College
in 1911 as His Highness The Maharajas Training College and was affiliated to
Madras University. The college imparted training for both Graduate and Under
Graduate Teachers of erstwhile Travancore. Those who completed the teacher training
course successfully were honoured with a Licentiate of Teaching (LT) degree.
The training college in Trivandrum was established at par with
international standards with adequate academic and administrative facilities.
The original building was constructed in the shape of English letter ‘T' with
the college classes in the front row and the experimental school at the tail
end. Each and every room in the building was designed keeping in view the
requirements of different subjects.
The institution originally affiliated to Madras University was
later transferred to Travancore University in 1937, when it was constituted by
the promulgamation of Maharaja of Travancore, Sri Chithira Thirunal
Balaramavarma. Subsequently there was a change in the name of the degree from L
T to B T (Bachelor of Training).